Here’s introducing my best 25…simply because I couldn’t bear to leave any of these little gems out. Mouseover or click on the names of these places to access their websites. The following is listed in alphabetical order (no ranking involved):
- 25 Degree Celsius ($$-$$$): Fall head-over-heels in love with their wide array of cookbooks while you browse & eat
- Blu Jaz Café ($-$$): Strike a pose with funky decor, sip a cocktail, grab a chimichanga or unwind to live music in an alfresco/indoor dining area
- Café Domus ($-$$$) now-defunct: A hidden treasure nestled in Little India where droolworthy desserts (Tiramisutra‘s fabulous tiramisu) and alcoholic concoctions await the discerning
- Colbar ($-$$): Appreciate the rustic charm of colonial houses while you tuck into their popular Chicken Merryland or Chicken Curry
(9A Whitchurch Rd, Tel: 6779 4859)
- Corduroy Café ($$-$$$) now defunct: Experience the grand literary cafés of Europe as you let your tongue linger on sweet crepes and other tempting treats…
- Essential Brew ($-$$$): Gather a group of friends and have some tea-infused drinks with an interesting selection of appetizers
- Food for Thought ($-$$): Tantalising desserts with a cause – Butterscotch Apple Raisin Crumble. Banana Chocolate Malteser Cake. Nutella Cupcakes. and so much more…
- Fren(s)h ($-$$) now defunct: A quaint french café that serves up a slice of Paris with mouthwatering tartines (Rue Mirbel & Rilettes amongst many others) and great desserts
(Vivocity #01-163, Tel: 6376 8005)
- Gone Fishing ($-$$): Ponder philosophy and wax lyrical about life’s little things every 3rd Wednesday of the month, or organise a private function with your friends and family in this quiet café in Hillview
- Ice Cream Chefs ($): Grab a cone or cup and have some fun on FREE Mix-In Day every Tuesday!
- Icekimo ($): Spaghetti ice-cream. Affagato. familiar local flavours like Dino Milo, Cempedak,Teh Tarik, Bandung and D24 Durian…(see earlier entry)
- Little Part 1 Café ($-$$): Neither home nor workplace but somewhere in-between – quaint little nook in Thomson
- Mint Café ($$-$$$): Visit a 5-storey museum of collector’s edition toys and head downstairs to the café for tea or dinner (see earlier entry)
- Myke’s Oven ($): freshly-baked croissants and great tea sets that will leave you wanting more (see earlier entry)
- Paisley & Cream ($-$$): Dine against a backdrop of classic Audrey Hepburn photographs in cosy corners and try their double chocolate cupcakes and Indian wraps
(The Central @ Clarke Quay #01-09/10, Tel: 6534 7962)
- Pluck ($): For the nostalgic sentimentalist who wishes to indulge in ice-cream while they shop
- Privé ($$-$$$): Spend a lazy Sunday afternoon on Singapore’s only private island (Keppel Island), and try their delectable Blue Swimmer Crab & Prawn Wrap as you admire the boats docked at the marina
- Provence ($): Great Japanese bakery & cafe for brunch with the family – try their chocolate twist, raisin bun and blueberry cheese or grab a sandwich to go.
- PS Café ($$-$$$): Catch a glimpse of the occasional local celebrity, or marvel at Project Shop’s ability to successfully expand themselves into the F&B realm with yummy favourites like the turkey cranberry sandwich and sticky date pudding as you dine in a private enclave of lush greenery.
- Tea Cosy ($$-$$$): Ecclectic furnishings transform this cosy nook in Ecclectic Attic into the perfect place for tea & scones, or a romantic dinner for two (foie gras tasters, duck omelette parcels, pasta)
- The Book Café ($$-$$$): Perfect for curling up with a book on rainy afternoons and a cup of tea (see earlier entry)
- The Cheescake Café ($-$$): Scrumptious cheesecakes such as their blueberry, strawberry oreo, rum & raisin ones…and a sweet chocolate truffle. I’d recommend ordering a few to share with friends.
- The Daily Scoop ($): Funky ice-cream flavours like chilli choc or lime & black pepper for the adventurous / lychee martini, kahlua or bailey’s for the closet alcoholic
- The Garden Slug ($$-$$$): With a quirky name like that, word will get around fast. Especially word about their zesty beef salad and hearty broths that will remind you of home
- Whatever Café ($-$$): Sign up for yoga classes and embrace delicious organic or vegetarian food without feeling guilty…their cakes are gluten, sugar & wheat-free!
[$]-cheap like peanuts: ($10 & below/person)
[$$]-average Jane ($15-$25/person)
[$$$]-you might wanna tke tht card out..($30-$60/person)
[$$$$]-extremely exorbitant ($70 & above/person)
/ image of colbar taken from Stomp + images of café domus taken from ice cream chefs website