If there is one thing we should all know about our mothers, it’ll be their penchant for sweet things – be it nonya kueh, ice kachang, cheng tng, chendol, “tim ban” (cantonese desserts), chocolates or pastries. Most would vehemently deny any associations with this liking for fear of expanding waist lines, or cite diabetes and high cholesterol as a reason to avoid these sweet treats like the plague…but deep down inside, they crave it. Believe me, they do.
The minute you tell them things like, “Mum, you really should indulge yourself once in a while…it won’t hurt. Besides, I bought this for you…”, whatever will power or resolve they have will melt into a puddle. So to help everyone out, I’ve come up with some gift ideas for Mother’s Day (11 May) – an occasion you should remember to observe religiously, failing which you’ll incur the wrath of your mother who will no doubt tell your aunts/grandmothers/family friends etc. what a unfilial child you’ve been.
For starters, if your mum is traditional and likes nonya kueh or tau huay (beancurd)…you should head down to Glory Catering at East Coast Road (they’re halal) and
Rochor Original Beancurd (7 Short St), which is diagonally across the road from Peace Centre along Selegie Road. If your mum (like mine) is crazy about egg tarts or onde onde (glutinous rice flour with grated coconut & gula melaka), I’d suggest Tong Heng egg tarts from the outlet next to Maxwell Road Food Centre/Jurong Point, and the famous onde onde stall at Maxwell Road Food Centre. If you intend to get the onde onde do try to get there around 9.30am before the queues start to form, and note that they’re closed on Sundays. Rainbow Hot & Cold Desserts (Blk 11 Telok Blangah Cresent Market & Food Centre) is reputed for their ice kachang and such, so do check them out if you’re in the vicinity.
Since it’s the one day of the year (other than birthdays) that most people splurge on their mums, do be a little extravagant if you can. Indulge her chocolate cravings with Prestat fine chocolates (located at Raffles City) – if their chocolates are fit for the Queen, they’ll definitely make your mother feel like one. I’d recommend their Rose & Violet Cremes, Heart Box, or Marc de Champagne Chocolate Truffles.
Other high-end gourmet chocolate brands you might want to consider include Hediard over at Tudor Court (next to Tanglin Mall), or Teuscher at Palais Renaissance. There you have it: High-end ($$ to $$$$) English, French & Swiss chocolates that are guaranteed to make your mum feel all happy inside. On a special occasion like this, commercial brands like Cadbury will not do.
I’ve saved the best for last: Pastries! The following is a list of places to get awesome cakes/cupcakes/brownies/muffins/tarts etc. – the following is in alphabetical order, so mouseover or click on their names to access their websites (this applies to all places mentioned prior to this too).
- Allanbakes: Strawberry Cheesecake
- Bakerzin: Opera, Scarlet, Coeur Noir
- Canelé Pâtisserie Chocolaterie: Macarons, Meringue and others
- CCÛP: Gourmet cupcakes
- Cedele: Blueberry Maple Cake, Carrot Walnut Cake
- Centre Ps (78 Guan Chuan St #01-43, Tel: 6220 1285): Grand Cru Royal, Mont Blanc, Douce Fraise
- Food for Thought: Banana Chocolate Malteser, Nutella Cupcakes
- Gobi: would you believe me if I said everything?
- Laurent Bernard Chocolatier: Flourless Cake, Chocolate Tart
- Nectarie le’dessert Patisserie: Chocolate Raspberry Gateaux, Granny Smith Apple Crumble,
- Obolo: Cheesecakes, Le Cassis, Belle
- Pasticceria da Valentino: Authentic traditional Italian tarts
- Perfect Fairy Cakes: Customise pretty little gourmet cupcakes that look too delish to be eaten
- Rive Gauche Patiserie: Guanaja Cake
- Room for Dessert: Ultimate Indulgence Chocolate Cake, Choc-A-Lot Cake
- Swissbake: Champagne Cake, Oreo-Brownie Cake
- The Cheesecake Cafe: Blueberry, Rum & Raisin, Strawberry Oreo
- The Patissier: Marquise, Lactee Cherry, La Mere
- Tiramisutra: Berry-misu, Choco-misu
[$]-cheap like peanuts: ($10 & below/person)
[$$]-average Jane ($15-$25/person)
[$$$]-you might wanna tke tht card out..($30-$60/person)
[$$$$]-extremely exorbitant ($70 & above/person)
/some images were taken from Obolo & Prestat’s websites